RestorePontoon.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Pontoon Boat Dock > General Pontoon Chitchat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LED Docking lights on pontoon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Deckmate
Deckmate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clueless :-) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED Docking lights on pontoon
    Posted: Jul 07 2017 at 11:38pm
HELP!!!!
My son and I installed 2-5"wide lateral LED docking lights on the bow of our 1969 Riviera Cruiser. Wired them in parallel with the size of wire and heat-shrink-crimp-connectors recommend by the salesman. All I know about them is they are 12V-8W lights. No wiring diagram included. We ran the wire to the helm and disconnected a simple courtesy light on the helm to use the switch for the lights. They worked for several days then died. The 10amp fuse was fried along with it's replacement. 
I'm wondering if maybe the lights have reverse polarity or fuse size is wrong or worse, they're dead.
Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks, C
AirForce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2017 at 6:26am
without knowing how you wired it (color of the wires) as some made by the Chinese are NOT properly color coded. Black is hot and Red is negative. Who manufactured these lights? I'm familiar with a lot of the brands with Attwood being generally the best ones for marine use.  Send me pictures of your wiring to my email, please make them at least 1024x768 so I can blow it up larger for closer inspection. Include all connections and butt connectors and I would have wired it to its OWN switch as that's an OLD boat and wiring sucked back in them days. For two 8watt lamps, you should have been using a minimum of 16ga wire from the correctly rated 20amp switch (doubt the couresty switch is more than 5amp at most). Should be a 16ga wire from switch to fuse panel and heavier (more desirable) to the battery. What did you ground the wires to?? (Should be negative of the SAME battery positive wire is attached to)
Charles
Smyrna TN
Disabled USAF Vietnam Veteran
RestorePontoon Admin
2013 Tracker Team Pro 175TF
2013 Mercury 60HP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic