RestorePontoon.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Restore Pontoon Showcase > Customer Restore Pontoon Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1987 Lowe 24' Sunbird Restore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Deckmate
Deckmate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PuttlePirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1987 Lowe 24' Sunbird Restore
    Posted: Apr 18 2017 at 1:27pm
Started a multi-year project on an "old school toon" yesterday.  I say multi-year mainly because the company that I wanted to order new furniture from is so busy they aren't accepting new orders for 2017.  But there is plenty to do in the meantime.

Picked up the toon last year for really short money.  Basically for the cost of renting one for the family week vacation at Moosehead Lake in Maine, I bought this one.

Right now I'm stripping it down to the deck to view the deck wood and replace any bad sheets and the old worn out carpet with vinyl.  Didn't realize that I have to remove the motor in order to remove the back sections of the fence.  This is due to the method in which the transom is mounted to the deck.  The transom is screwed to the end caps that surround the motor compartment.  Need to remove the end caps in order to gain access to the bolts that hold down the fence.

The plan is to replace any bad decking, carpet, fence skin, new helm, new transom w/fuel tank and set the transom back about a foot.

U.S.C.G. Vet
'87 Nissan 60hp
'87 Lowe 24'Sunbird
AirForce View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2017 at 10:41pm
At least you got a plan, that's better than most Wink, just make the plan flexible. Do the deck and carpet first is my advice (or vinyl decking which has come a LONG way). It'll actually outlast carpet and much easier to clean.

Darn good price pickup too, can't beat that. Welcome to tooning, had to sell mine due to health.
Charles
Smyrna TN
Disabled USAF Vietnam Veteran
RestorePontoon Admin
2013 Tracker Team Pro 175TF
2013 Mercury 60HP
Darrklim2 View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrklim2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 10:50am
Welcome! Looks like a great project!
Darren
Deer Creek, Minnesota, USA
78 Lund Mr. Pike
87 Sun Patio Sunliner DLX
04 Chevrolet Silverado

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic