RestorePontoon.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Restore Pontoon Tips & Hints > Pontoon Boat Carpet & Vinyl Flooring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carpet glue for aluminum deck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ensign
Ensign

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkwhite61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carpet glue for aluminum deck
    Posted: Feb 08 2016 at 1:42pm
About to replace my carpet on my Suntracker. The deck is aluminum. What brand/glue should I use? I'm told a water base will not work for this application. Need some advice from someone who has been through this process. Also, should I use a trowel or nap roller and how well do I need to remove the old glue? Thanks in advance.
restorepontoon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restorepontoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2016 at 1:19pm
Thank you for your great question.  Yes, our carpet glue can be used on aluminum surfaces.  We have had many customers use this marine adhesive for this type of application.  Try scuffing the aluminum surface it can actually help with the bond a little better.  Our part number is BCCGAL1.  You can use either a trowel or a medium nap roller.  We prefer the roller as the glue goes on a little easier.  We always recommend applying the glue in conditions above 60 degrees.  Waterbased glue is really finicky this time of year and the cooler temp will stop the curing process.  Good Luck with your project and if there is anything else we can help you with let us know!

• Each 1 gallon pail covers an 8' x 10' area (or 80 sq. ft.)
  • Designed specifically for installing boat carpet.
  • Non-Toxic and Non-Flammable.
  • Low-Odor
  • Water based (Adheres to rubber backed carpeting perfectly and will not deteriorate backing over time like alcohol-based glues)
  • This glue has the consistency of warm honey and can be easily spread by trowel on to the deck of any boat.
  • This carpet glue is very versatile and may be used on Marine Plywood, Particle Board, Concrete, Aluminum and Fiberglass.

belercous View Drop Down
    Ensign
    Ensign

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belercous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2016 at 1:37am
    If some of the old glue doesn't want to come off, use it to your advantage: it's already tightly bonded, just scuff it & apply the new glue over it. Definitely use a roller. Rent one, they're cheap. Put the glue on a bit thicker than you'd think. Since your deck is Al, you should only use chemicals to remove the old glue. Using a belt sander to remove old glue requires 40-60 grit (to be realistic, I've tried it & 80 just doesn't cut it.)
    1994 Tracker Party Cruiser
    115 Mercury 2-stroke
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic