RestorePontoon.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Restore Pontoon Tips & Hints > Marine Plywood & Decking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ac2 ag ccx treated plywood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ensign
Ensign

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live2ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ac2 ag ccx treated plywood
    Posted: Nov 19 2014 at 8:09am
I bought some ac2 ag ccx plywood to build a couple of seat for my pontoon. I was told by the lumber yard it would not cause a chemical reaction to aluminum. Now that I got my seats all built and rest for upholstery I find out there could be a reaction.
The seats will be sitting on a vinyl covered floor and with no direct contact with any aluminum but I am concerned about run off when things get wet. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will it be ok or should do something else?
I am planning to paint or upholster over the plywood, will that help? Which would be better?

Thanks,
Drew
Centeral MN
1989 Ercoa Captain DLX
40 hp Johnson
restorepontoon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restorepontoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2014 at 6:02pm

If you can send us a picture of your seats that would be great!! We have alot of customer with this same concern but we would recommend coating this with a product.. Let us check out your pictures and we will be happy to help you with this and point you in the right direction!
toonrider View Drop Down
Major
Major

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toonrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2014 at 8:44pm
I believe the main concern with plywood is when it is used for decking, which is laid on the aluminum. I wouldn't think you would have any issues with the plywood used for seat frames when there is carpet or vinyl beneath it. I am sure others will weigh in on this for more opinions. Many of the older pontoons had wooden seat frames, but I'm not sure the type of wood than was used.
Randy
2008 SunTracker 190
2008 Mercury 60hp Bigfoot
Live2ski View Drop Down
Ensign
Ensign

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live2ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2014 at 10:40pm
Thanks for the replies.
PontoonGirl:  Here are a few pictures of the seats I am building.
Bench seat front view

Bench seat top view without the seat back or bench.  The holes are for SCUBA tank storage.

This is the end view with the backrest on.  The grey on the front corner is a shadow.

The wood is fairly fresh, only a couples of months from the lumber yard and stored inside a small garage.  I have been told that the wood needs to be dry for at least 3 months but I'm not sure if standing inside has the same drying time as being outside in the wind and sun.

Toonrider:  I have heard that where the wood and aluminum meet is where the problems are.  I was also concerned about the run off.  If the wood gets wet and drips on the floor and down to the toons, will that be a big problem?

Being that 2 people at the lumber yard told me that the new treated wood would not corrode aluminum and then I learn from people here and the manufacturers of the treated wood just the opposite.  Do you think I should try to get anything from the lumber yard?

Thanks,
Drew
Centeral MN
1989 Ercoa Captain DLX
40 hp Johnson
ToonGuy View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToonGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2014 at 5:18pm
Personally I don't think you will have a problem with any sort of "reaction" in your application. I would actually be more worried about stains. While I'm not familiar with the wood you purchased, I have seen in the past rebuilders who used wood other than Marine Grade CCA have problems with it "bleeding" and staining their carpet. What ever treatment was used bled out when it got wet. If your wood is treated might want to ask them about that issue.
KCCO
CajunDiver View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CajunDiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2014 at 10:30pm
If you haven't put the vinyl on it yet spray it with Kilz or some kind of primer to seal it. If the vinyl is done properly the wood should stay dry. I would be more concerned with fasteners into the wood corroding. If you are stapling the vinyl make sure to use stainless steel staples. Galvanized would probably be ok but its hard to get hot dipped galvanized for staple guns, if not impossible.
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CajunDiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2014 at 10:33pm
Also I painted my dive tank rack in my toon. I primed two coats and 3 coats of gray over treated plywood. Guess what. It peeled really bad. I didn't let it dry 3 months. I would lean towards upholstery/vinyl covering then you wont have to worry about it getting wet or paint peeling.
Live2ski View Drop Down
Ensign
Ensign

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live2ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2014 at 6:49am
CajunDiver - do you have any pictures of your tank rack? I'm curious to see what others did. Actually, I thought I was the only one doing this. I wonder if their are enough of us out here to make it feezable for companies like Wise to make a seat wth hidden tank storage?
Thanks,
Drew
Centeral MN
1989 Ercoa Captain DLX
40 hp Johnson
restorepontoon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restorepontoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2014 at 1:07pm
I just emailed the link to the Wise Company to see if they have ever thought about making something like this.  If there is enough people that would buy they would look at making this!

Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CajunDiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2014 at 9:53pm

here is mine. I custom made with two old seats I was given. Made a live well out of one of the seats. we mostly stored fins and wet suits, etc in there as well as dive flag
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CajunDiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2014 at 9:54pm
Also please note you need a 3rd pontoon if you put in the bow like I did. The tanks are enough weight to cause it to dip when people stand on the bow when under way. I added a pod on mine
Pontoon man View Drop Down
Ensign
Ensign

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pontoon man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 6:41pm
I use a 3/4" composite waterproof, rot, decay and termite proof sheathing that I can easilu screw to the frame with stainless steel self tap screws. Never have to redeck again Sold in 4'x8'sheets and also use 1/2" composite for all my furniture frames.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic